Showers - Mains vs pumped..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title really..

what gives the best power shower experience.

unvented cylinder, mains cold and hot.

or pumped gravity on vented cylinder.

money no object.

your opinions / experiences please.

Sponsored Links
Probably about the same, it's going to depend as much on the shower valve as anything else, and also whether you have just the one shower head or the full body-jet drown-you-from-all-directions experience. The other consideration of course is your mains supply - if it's marginal for high demand from an unvented cylinder and you do have a body jet shower you may find that a pumped gravity system is better, especially if you've got a monster pump on it.

Unvented would be preferred where the mains supply is good as it takes up less space and doesn't create noise. Where the mains supply is not so good pumped may be the option, but if you want an ultra-powerful long shower you're going to have to have some REALLY big tanks in the loft and might have to put up with a bit of noise from the pump, which of course is also susceptible to breaking down

I moved into a new house (4 years ago now) that has a gravity-fed system and a bloody noisy shower pump that feeds 2 showers.
The original pump died after 2 years and the replacement QT pump now squeals like a pig after a few minutes. It's been installed absolutely to the manufacturers instructions. Even when it's not squealing, it hums loudly through the whole house and I can't shower at night in case the kids wake up. (the pump's mounted on shock-absorbing base)

So, rather than replace the pump again, I've ordered 2 Ideal Standard Trevi Boost showers. I had one of these before in my previous house and I think they are absolutely amazing for the following 3 reasons:

1. They use the mains cold to silently 'pump' the hot water (without using any moving parts or electricity) The end result is very close to a power-shower performance but totally silent.

2. Ideal have superb customer service - some 5 years after I installed the boost at my old house, the shower head fell apart (OK, I may have dropped it... :oops:) I rang Ideal and they sent me a new one - free of charge even though there would be no warranty left.

3. Mine was going strong in the last house 8 years later when we sold the house. The controls were still silky-smooth and it gave me a little smile whenever I used it!

They are quite expensive but worth it. I love quality products that work well, look good and feel good and this certainly does that.

The alternative was a pressurised system. I like the idea of not having tanks in the loft space, but pressurised systems do carry a small additional risk, need servicing by G3 rated plumbers on a yearly basis, and any leaks are likely to be more 'exciting' than with gravity-fed systems. - Oh and they are more expensive to install.

So... my opinion is to keep the gravity-fed system and go for the Trevi Boost showers.

A lot of people seem to have great mains pressure and flow, and if you have, that could indeed be the way to go.

Myself - we have crap pressure and crap flow and the only option was for a power shower on a vented tank. The screwfix pump was duly put in five years ago and has done great (if noisy) service since. 22mm run with a surrey flange off the tank to the last 2m of the mixer which only accepts 15mm.

Also feeds the bath so that instead of it taking half an hour to fill, it's ready in 7 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Oops, forgot to mention I'm also in a bungalow, so gravity system here has approx two feet of head between shower and base of water tank. Ain't going to get much more than a dribble out of that.

Incidentally if you had great pressure but relatively low flow, maybe due to a small main, and money really was no object there would be nothing to stop you upgrading the main to a larger size.

Unvented cylinder flow rate and pressure is limited by two things - the capacity of the main that supplies it, and the capacity of the valves/associated pipework to pass the water. The first can sometimes be dealt with by installing a larger incoming main, the second can be addressed by installing two cylinders in parallel.

The vented/pumped option is limited by the capacity of the pump and also once again the capacity of the pipework to pass water, although there are arguably less restrictions through the pipework to a pump than there are through the pipework to an unvented cylinder. It would be theoretically possible to have a pumped shower passing 60 litres per minute at just over 3.5 bar, although finding a shower that could cope with that amount of water flowing through it might be something of a challenge!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back