shrinking wooden lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we're renovating our victorian terrace house,about 4 months ago we took out the gas fire and opened up the fire place fitting an Elm lintel with a view to fitting a wood burner.The lintel now appears loose and the new plaster in the alcove next to chimney breast is cracking.How can i rectify this and is the chimney likely to fall down, help please!

Sponsored Links
The wood lintel has shrunk which is to be expected if it wasn’t left to acclimatise in the room for some considerable time & then some. You cannot plaster over wood, it will fall off. You cannot use Gypsum plaster (or Gypsum based products) anywhere near a fire that will exceed 50 degrees C or it will fall off. The plaster cracking may be due to other factors & without knowing detail, I can’t say; perhaps a crap plasterer but I don't think your chimney is likely to fall down as a result.

We’re here to help but if you’re going to take on the renovation of an old property, do your homework thoroughly first. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back