Side return/rear extension using existing garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a garden flat in a victorian terrace and am about to undertake a single story side/rear extension. A builder told me we can build using the existing brick garden wall.
i have a couple of queries:
1. I presume he doesn't mean just insulate the garden wall. is this even possible? I'm guessing a cavity and block-work is required no?
2. The existing garden wall obviously doesn't have a DPM. How will this work without one?

I have added a few pictures and a drawing for clarity,
any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers Sam
I

Attachments

• 27 Felixstowe Rd REV B copy 2.pdf
    420.6 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 412
Sponsored Links
Sounds a bit dodgy to me for the reasons you mention, plus foundation depth will probably not please building control.
Get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion..... ask them how they'd build around the wall. I should think most will probably say they need to remove it first.
But I am no builder so cannot say for sure!

Hi Jonbey, i would tend to agree but the structural engineer seem to think its fine. Sam

thinking of doing this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 16.03.22.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 16.03.22.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 364
Sponsored Links
Well, if the structural engineer says it is ok, then it must be! Although, surely you will have a cavity and inner wall too?
Did the structural engineer dig down by the wall to see how deep the foundation is?

yes we did about 600mm (with 100mm from the face of the wall to the edge of the corbel)

i don't think so Andy , the neighbours on both sides don't want the wall touching so I'm kind so I'm kinda stuck for options

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back