Signal but cannot find the aerial?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now this is really strange. I have signal in both front and back rooms but cannot for the life of me trace it to an aerial in the loft or anywhere on the roof.

I even cut a cable in the loft that appears to go to the aerial socket in the front room - and it still works!!

Is there anything obvious I am missing? I found a very old aerial up there connected to nothing that was in real tatters.. but nothing else.

I started looking as bought a new one to update the signal for HD free use channels.. it really is perplexing!!

Sponsored Links
Is this just freeview signal from a wall coax socket? Perhaps previous owner tapped into the neighbours aerial?

Is this just freeview signal from a wall coax socket? Perhaps previous owner tapped into the neighbours aerial?

It is indeed yeah, just freevies via coax.

I can't see where the cables for that would run to to tap into but really not inconceivable.

Is this normal? Im not sure the neighbours got on too well..

It is almost spooky (although I know there will be a logical explanation)

:)

You may need to do a bit of detection and elimination to work it out. An aerial needs a line of site to work, so if you can work out where you're nearest transmitter is, then using a compass, you'll know the direction the aerial should be pointing in. If you can eliminate the areas of the property that aren't in line of site, then you can narrow down it's location.

A loft aerial wouldn't normally be powerful enough to work without a booster, so have you found anything like that on your travels. And if it was cable, then you'd need a box to translate so you'd have found that.

Have you tried looking on google maps for the aerial.

Try this site for transmitter info
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/digitalnationwide.html#DigitalTransmitterMap

Sponsored Links
You may need to do a bit of detection and elimination to work it out. An aerial needs a line of site to work, so if you can work out where you're nearest transmitter is, then using a compass, you'll know the direction the aerial should be pointing in. If you can eliminate the areas of the property that aren't in line of site, then you can narrow down it's location.

A loft aerial wouldn't normally be powerful enough to work without a booster, so have you found anything like that on your travels. And if it was cable, then you'd need a box to translate so you'd have found that.

Have you tried looking on google maps for the aerial.

Try this site for transmitter info
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/digitalnationwide.html#DigitalTransmitterMap

Hi Doggit,

Thanks for the reply.

Nope, not found anything even close to that in my travels in the loft and looking at all the external cables in the house. I'd notice a powered booster too from the smart energy meter and so been able to discount that too.

I can see two more modern coax (brown) aerial cables in the loft but I cut that straight through yet they both still work.

The only reasonable explanation I can see so far is that either as above its piggy backed onto the neighbours.

Or there is a tele west box in the rear sitting room which appears to be connected to the coax box (I need a star shaped tool to open it up - as per pic)

Do accept my apologises this is our fifth week in a very tired looking project house.

Attachments

• IMG_7048.JPG
    IMG_7048.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 376
You may well have solved the problem; a quick check on Telewest shows it's a cable provider, so if you take out the screws to the coax box, you may see the cable going into the Telewest box.

No need to apologise; it's always interesting looking at different scenarios. And best of luck with the project; unfortunately, it'll always get worse before it gets better - just keep the wine glass well topped up.

You may well have solved the problem; a quick check on Telewest shows it's a cable provider, so if you take out the screws to the coax box, you may see the cable going into the Telewest box.

No need to apologise; it's always interesting looking at different scenarios. And best of luck with the project; unfortunately, it'll always get worse before it gets better - just keep the wine glass well topped up.

It does indeed. So both rooms are connected via the telewest box through the floor void I am guessing.

Shame as in the front room HD channels are available but the rear room struggles with even standard itv and channel four let alone HD.

Thoughts as to the quality differential?

Oh trust me the aerial is all but one minor problem to keep the grey cells working. Today's issue... a leaky flat roof.. in many places...
IMG_7049.JPG

Use a bitumen sealing paint for now, and then go for fibreglass in the summer.

Use a bitumen sealing paint for now, and then go for fibreglass in the summer.

Great idea mate Problem is it's about 25m2.

Builder is due in May. Was planning to lay a 1200 gauge DPM sheet on top of the currently laid Tarp.. if I only knew what I knew then now :-/

That shouldn't be a problem at all; the good thing about fibreglass, is that you can just keep working across the roof in sections. It's a progression system rather than get it all done in one go type. If you've got a few dry days, you'll strip off the existing roof, repair the decking. lay down osb, set up the edges, glue down the fibreglass, and then do the top coats. Check out eBay for some pretty good videos, and you'll get an idea of what's involved.

You'll get more advice on the roof problem if you post it in the appropriate section.

A loft aerial wouldn't normally be powerful enough to work without a booster, so have you found anything like that on your travels.

Aerials don't have power, they have gain.

Loft aerials frequently work without boosters. It all depends where you are in relation to the transmitter among other things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back