Signal strength increased

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i setup a loft aerial to distribute 6 tv points around the house via a 6 way passive splitter un amplified, the system has always worked fine, but lately i have noticed increase in signal strength, according to my fringe meter i get 63dbuv and the 66 dbuv led flashes rapidly. 20200412_211307.jpg

I remember at the time i used to have about 54-57dbub but now its suddenly increased. I have checked all the muxes at the tv signal status menu and all muxes have a signal strength above 90% 95% is the highest, the signal quality is 100% for all muxes this hasn't changed.

I am not having any trouble with picture break up the system works just as well as it did before. Im am just curious as is what has caused this increase in signal strength? the aerial has not been touched, could it have something to do with 5g?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why on earth would 5G have anything to do with it?

Either the transmitters have increased or the transmission path has improved due to weather conditions.

According to the manual, your meter reads 5 muxes. I can't confirm specifically, but it would be sensible to presume it takes an average of those muxes. The thing is, DVB-T/T2 doesn't broadcast on 5 muxes, or not any more; so the questions arising would be whether it still takes 5 readings (and how it decides, is it strongest first?), or whether it's now reading all the muxes broadcasting? If it was reading all, then I'd expect the meter to be overloaded if it was still averaging as if reading 5. My guess then is it's still reading 5, but your mux mix may have changed.

Thinking about transmitters and aerials, depending on when you last measured before you noticed the change (no info on this in your OP), it may be that the retunes happening to accommodate the 700MHz band clearance have changed the line-up of muxes for your local transmitter (again, no info in OP), and perhaps moved them to a part of the aerial's reception range (no info in OP again) where it's more efficient and gives higher output.

Or perhaps you just got a better connection to the aerial this time so the meter is reading a healthier signal?... :ROFLMAO:
Or, as Winston, suggests, the transmitter power got turned up or the fine weather is helping.

In any event, I wouldn't worry about it. The manual says that a meter reading of 54dBuV is marginal. If that was really the case then you 'd run in to problems splitting it 2-ways let alone 6! Again, referring to the manual, it says you'll only run in to issues with overload at a reading of 81dBuV. Your new readings aren't too low and aren't too high. For digital, that's enough. On top of that, if the signal was getting close to the upper threshold then you'd see the Quality reading go lower but strength max-out. That's not happening in your case, so again, all the indications are positive. (y)

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then please do the decent thing and click the T-H-A-N-K-S button. It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. It costs you nothing. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, im glad to know all is well, i have no idea why i thought it might be 5g? The aerial i have is a log 36 and transmitter i use is called craigkelly. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back