Signs of damp & condensation...problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3 or 4 weeks back (as the summer faded & the temp lowered slightly) we noticed the following.

Heavy condensation on the inside pane of the double glazed windows, mostly first thing in the morning (inside the rooms, not between the 2 panes)

Small patches of damp on 3 different walls above the skirting

Internal doors swollen (panelled knotty pine from B&Q, varnished)

We're detached & had chemical damp proofing done 6 yrs ago, also had cavity insulation blown in at the same time.
We've noticed (& lived with) the doors swelling & windows steamed up for all the time we've been in over winter, but the damp patches are new & worrying.
We're fully laminated downstairs & I've wondered if it may be this, not allowing breathing?
Plenty of good airbricks, all below floor level.

Any ideas, please?

Sponsored Links
The problem is, you have a made a big improvement for heat loss saving and yet at the same the moisture in the room cannot get out therefore creating condensation problem.

Have a read here to help you.

We're detached & had chemical damp proofing done 6 yrs ago,
Sadly, they are waste of time & money :cry:
also had cavity insulation blown in at the same time.
I don't believing in cavity wall insulation because they enable to stop the wall breathing the normal way therefore I guessing they collects condensation in between the insulation and the inner wall because the moisture cannot get out and sometime the damp from the outer wall can bridge across the internal wall ties transferring the damp problem.

I have made a big improvement by putting a open/shut vents on all my room ceiling and it's vented out to outside air in the loft area via the soffit and tile ridge vents! I only did it last month and it's working very well at the moment. I can now feel the air flow change.

You need to improve ventilation and double glazing doesn't help :!: Open windows slightly etc

We are all thinking we're doing the right thing but we are making it worse and being conned by these so called experts of hard sell products

Just to check, do you always use the extractor when you have a bath or shower, and in the kitchen when boiling pans? And do you never leave damp clothes about the house after washing?

As long as you have all those points covered, a little extra ventilation should be all you need. The new windows are doubtless well sealed against draughts, but this also means no ventilation.

Opinions differ about cavity insulation. I'm very happy with mine as it made a substantial reduction in heat loss. The inside wall surfaces are also warmer so less likely to suffer condensation (which I don't get anyway).

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Just to check, do you always use the extractor when you have a bath or shower, and in the kitchen when boiling pans? And do you never leave damp clothes about the house after washing?
No, we're guilty there, I'm afraid

As long as you have all those points covered, a little extra ventilation should be all you need. The new windows are doubtless well sealed against draughts, but this also means no ventilation.
Well, the bay window has signs of damp in each corner where it joins the wall inside...I don't know if this is external (no sign, if it is) or caused by the condensation collecting on the sill.

Opinions differ about cavity insulation. I'm very happy with mine as it made a substantial reduction in heat loss. The inside wall surfaces are also warmer so less likely to suffer condensation (which I don't get anyway).
Our central heating is very poor (suspect a blockage somewhere in the pipes) so the house, bar for one or two rooms, is generally cold anyway.

wellerchap said:
...No, we're guilty there, I'm afraid....

:LOL: Well, start by cutting back on your damp-creating activities ;)

Also improve the ventilation a bit

It will make quite a difference at little cost.

JohnD said:
:LOL: Well, start by cutting back on your damp-creating activities ;)

No more breathing, cooking or washing. That's for starters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back