Signs of Rot & Woodworm on Purlins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed what looks like rot on the purlins in our attic. There also appears to be signs of woodworm. This only seems to be affecting the uppermost face of the purlin and the underside / rear face seems fine. I suspect that the issue may be due to condensation somehow running onto the purlin. Perhaps condensation is running down the white sheeting which was installed by the previous owners.

Can anyone suggest if this should be a cause for concern? Should I treat the timber to try and stop the problem getting worse?

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
put some white paper underneath the purlin and give it a tap,does the frass (dust)look newish?
do you have any paperwork/knowledge of any timber treatment being carried out in the past?

Sponsored Links
It looks like mould, and opening the purlins to ventilation as advised above should shift it.

Perhaps probe the purlins with a sharp screwdriver looking for live "wood worm" and any fungal decay. The bugs are attracted to damp.

Daylight coming in at a felt overlap(?) in pic 2. is somethng to see to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back