Silent Horn!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having to venture into garages to get my car fixed now as my trusty mechanic has emigrated to New Zealand, and it's a scary world!

The horn on my Fiat Punto (x reg) has given up the ghost. Is this something that I could contemplate fixing myself? If not a rough idea of financial damage would be appreciated as I don't want to get the usual lone female rip off!!

Sponsored Links
potentialy easy... find the horn (usualy a round thing with two wires comming from it) Itll be in the engine bay somewhere. The wires will probably have conectors pushed on to the horn. Sometimes they get coroded, try cleaning them or spraying with WD40 (or similar)... if it still dont work, find another horn... all car horns should work (one can get car horns, that fit all cars, not just car specific, pretty cheep too)... push the wires onto that new horn and try it. if it works then, un bolt the old one and bolt that one in its place.

Get some of them "sergions gloves" cos it saves scrubbing your hands to bits and that dust and muck under the bonnet isnt nice (potentialy carcinaogenic)

Sponsored Links
First check whether the connectors are corroded as previously advised.
If after they are clean and reconnected the horn still doesn't work get a mate to help and (1) Run a wire from the horn to the battery, (2) run a wire from the horn to earth on the chassis (or direct to the other battery terminal). This direct connection will show whether the horn works. If it does work then you don't need another one because your problem lies elsewhere in the wiring loom.
Best of luck.

Back