Silk paint in bathroom 'undrying'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm better at plumbing than I am at painting :confused:

Three days ago I put 2 coats of Wickes blue vinyl silk on my bathroom walls on top of mid sheen. The paint had been sitting around a while but looked and smelled to be in good condition, although had separated somewhat (it had never been opened). I stirred it up vigorously using a paint stirrer in a drill. All looked to be good so I applied 2 coats, one on one morning one the next.

I left it for 2 days with the heating on and it was ventilated for 15mins every time someone used the loo.

Yesterday evening I went for a long shower and there was condensation. I noticed that in parts, the paint had gone the lighter blue it was when it was wet - it appeared to have 'un-dried'. In these areas the paint was very soft and I could scrape it off with my fingernail, roll it up and it looked and felt exactly like blu-tak. This morning the paint is dry again and is stuck fast to to the wall.

What has happened and what can I do to remedy this problem?

Some of the paint is on Artex and in tricky corners so will be impossible to get off. Should I seal it with some sort of product so the water can't get to it? It appears to be normal vinyl silk when there's no water on it.

Sponsored Links
Its livening up when it gets wet so the paint is taking to long to dry and cure. Could be a number of reasons but is often because of a dodgy batch of paint.
As yours has been sitting around for a while certain elements of the paint may have degraded or maybe the paint got frozen at some point.

Wickes paint is average at best and i don't think you'd have much chance of returning it. With a shower in daily use its gonna struggle to dry at this time of year. Polyvine decorators varnish is a clear coat but will probably pick up pigment from the blue as would something else like gardz, so i would seal it with gardz and repaint after if possible not using the shower for a few days.

I'll look into the gardz, have just had a quick read up and it looks like a good bet.

I can take a shower at my parents' house for a while.

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back