SIME boilers Good reputation or Bad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I am new to this forum
We are in Australia and have just moved into a house with a SIME external Boiler. Just wondering to they have a good reputation for heating.
We are running 7 panels but panel heating is not common at all in Australia due to the weather and Boilers/hydronics are very expensive here, plus we do not have the choice of Boilers the UK or Europe have.
We have an oportunity to get a Baxi Boiler and just wondered should we stay with the Sime or move to the Baxi ?
There is not much info in aussie at all and due to the limit of whats around most installers have a barrow to push.
Just for anyone who is interested, prices for Heating or Combi boilers in Australia are over twice the price of the UK and more.
We do not have to meet any effeciency standard and you can only buy one condensing boiler in the whole of aussie for hydronic heating.
That is a baxi Combi 30, which retails for $5800 aussie. About 2400 Pounds. Amazing hey. Thats not installed. Minimum price for a boiler change over is 400 quid.
Panels are also over double the price.
The SIME 34e format we have retails for $2400 or 1200 pounds as well. Its 83 percent effeciency, as I say sime dont have any condensing boilers here for sale. God knows what price the local plumbing shops would charge. I think we are the only place in the world accepting these boilers now.
Anyway you can see why most people have trouble affording this sort of heating. We envy your prices for boilers.
Parts are so dear here as well hence we want to get the right unit. a new pump for sime is 300 quid, a circuit board 300 quid, etc etc. I know its a small market but it is annoying the margins the local installers charge.
Thanks for any opinion of boilers. Just want to get it right before changeover. I lean towards the Baxi, unless someone could point me otherwise.
cheers michael

Note-there are only 4 boilers that are available that I know of in Australia.
Ferroli 30 Kw outdoor (indoor also available) 1100 pounds
80% efficiency
Sime 82 effeciency -1200 pounds indoor or outdoor
Baxi 82 effeciency 1200 pounds or he 90 effeciency 2400 pounds
pretty much the only boilers available in Australia for Hydronic Central heating.
Not installed prices.
there is a local one but not very effecient.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest a regular service on existing boiler. On my rounds as a service engineer I find lack of service can often be the main cause of malfunction.

Install some controls to put heat where it is needed i.e. living rooms and/ or sleeping rooms zones and TRVs fitted in rooms that are sunny.

Sime is an average boiler that will continue to keep you warm and washed. No point in splashing out on a new boiler when Sime is healthy and strong. Start putting money away each month for the day when this boiler is uneconomical to repair.

Why would you need heating in Australia? :eek:Air conditioning. Maybe.

[/quote]Why would you need heating in Australia? :eek:Air conditioning. Maybe
In Melbourne and tasmania, two of our states it gets cold. Not UK cold but cold and wet. 0 Celcius, for a while, hot insummer 45 celcius
But we need heating for 4 months of the year. Only Melbourne or Victoria really has Boiler/Hydronic set up.The other states too warm and heating this way is way too expensive. A plumber standard quote is 500-700 Pounds per radiater installed. Thats with boiler etc. So 6 average size panels is 3600 pounds. Being that most aussies have big houses, they need 12-15 panels at least it gets to be very very expensive.
Back to topic.
sime

Sponsored Links
Sime is not a very good boiler, but ferroli and baxi are not exactly top of the range either, and I wood not replace a working sime with one of those 2.
If it keels over, sime would be my last choice out of the 3 to install again.
Having said that, aussie models could be entirely different from uk models; it all depends on the country they are exported to.

Installation of Hydronic Heating Systems using: Jaga, Baxi, Zenitherm, Giacomini, Rehau

Environmentally Friendly Hydronic Heating SystemsHydronic Heating
Hydronic Heating is the most efficient and pleasant form of central heating, perfect for Melbourne. As the name suggests it operates by recirculating hot water, heated by a natural gas or LPG fired boiler. No other heating system can deliver the gentle, hygienic warmth of hydronics.

Got a Question about this product?
Enquire NowVisit Website
Dynamic Heating and Cooling
Tel: 03 9822 3705
Fax: 03 9822 4027
1426 Malvern Rd
Glen Iris
VIC 3146

Why Should You Choose Hydronic Heating?

Hydronic Heating is Asthma Friendly
Hydronic Heating delivers Ultimate Comfort
Hydronic Heating will save on Running Costs
Hydronic Heating can save the Environment
Hydronic Heating is the Healthier Option
Hydronic Heating Radiators
Dynamic Heating and Cooling have Hydronic Heating radiators for all decors including:

Cast Iron Radiators
Designer Radiators
Steel Panel Radiators
Tubular Radiators
Trench Heating
Heating Towel Rails
Advantages of Hydronic Heating Systems from Dynamic Heating and Cooling

Hydronic heating provides warmth in the same way nature does by natural convection and radiation.
It does not dry out the air by burning or cause unpleasant draughts, hot spots or noise.
Dust and allergens are a big drawback with ducted heating systems, hydronic heating radiators work on natural radiant heat where there is no forced air circulation, meaning no dust and no allergies.
All radiator panels are safe to touch with mild temperatures of water regulating at 65 Degrees Celsius, safe for children, the elderly and household pets.
One characteristic of hydronic heating that is a clear advantage over many other forms of heating is the fact that it is silent.
No noisy space heaters or wall heaters with the constant blowing of air, radiant warmth heats your home in peace and quiet.

TA-DAHHH. :D :D

I think I took out four Simes last year and replaced with summat better. One was only three years old. The clients all said that they had formed very intimate relationships with the repair man.

I think I took out four Simes last year and replaced with summat better. One was only three years old. The clients all said that they had formed very intimate relationships with the repair man.

What was wrong with them? other than having to replace the micro switch for the flow sensor we have had no problems with them so far. I don't like how on the formats the customer can activate the engineer mode. I have mentioned that to the rep several times but it falls on deaf ears.

Continuing problems as far as I remember. The youngest one was never gassed properly. I had the governor changed at the meter and it improved but it was locking out every day in the end. Sime came out once and it was ok for a few months according the the client. I replaced the fan a and pcb within a month of each other. I stuck in a WB junior of the same output and it worked fine at the outset. Pressure at the valve was fine. Never got that with the Sime. Never sussed it but the client just lost the will to carry on. Each of the others I changed for 27 juniors and the clients are all over the moon. Bags of trouble free hot water. No sense that they are struggling.

Continuing problems as far as I remember. The youngest one was never gassed properly. I had the governor changed at the meter and it improved but it was locking out every day in the end. Sime came out once and it was ok for a few months according the the client. I replaced the fan a and pcb within a month of each other. I stuck in a WB junior of the same output and it worked fine at the outset. Pressure at the valve was fine. Never got that with the Sime. Never sussed it but the client just lost the will to carry on. Each of the others I changed for 27 juniors and the clients are all over the moon. Bags of trouble free hot water. No sense that they are struggling.

Well I will keep my fingers crossed with the ones i have fitted, juniors are a lot nicer. Thanks for letting me know :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back