Boiler Anuual- service-what should be done ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could any boiler engineer or plumber tell me what should be done on a routine maintenence service for a heating boiler.
We are told to get one every two years ? is this right ? should it be every year, every 3 ?
Also it seems every different plumber I have seen either does nothing, looks around and says its all okay, or just blows some compressed air into the unit, and checks the gas jets and that seems it. Flushing an optional extra.
Now I am in Australia and we dont really have qualified boiler engineers doing a service, just plumbers who specialize in boiler heating. Some seem great others ring their boss on the phone as they are often unsure of what to do etc.
Can anyone enlighten me of what I should ask for, or expect for my money and how often I should get a service,
We presently have a Sime 34, but my Brother has a Baxi and was also curious.
I know a large school of thought in aussie is let the boiler go till something goes wrong otherwise your wasting money on sercvice calls which are not cheap here. Say 120 pounds plus parts.
thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
quote-why do I want to know ??

please read the post again ?
when/how often should service take place ? what should be done ?
thats why
I want an expert opinion

The expert opinion is in the boiler manual.
Every boiler is different, and the manufacturer specifies what should be done.
Go to their website and either download the service and installation manual, or contact them and ask them to send you the documentation.

Sponsored Links
I think your question is fair.

I expect to explain to my clients what I am doing and why. Still, sounds expensive. If you look at the manufacturer's instructions it wil tell you what the annual regime is. In the UK we are required to leave these with the client. If you haven't got them then you should be able to get them e-mailed to you. Here is basic list for you. Not servicing can be fatal.

Check for proper function of boiler and safety devices. Check gas rate. Check gas pressure. Check burner pressure and or check flue gas. Check flame picture if possible, check and clean airways, burner and heat exchanger. Clean fan. Check case and seals. Check condensate trap etc.

This is a basic generic list and not in the right order. Some boilers only require a basic clean up and flue gas and vacuum check and if are ok then you just clean up and inspect case seals etc.. If vacuum is outside limits the a complete strip down and service has to be carried out.

sorry its just that how can i give advice regarding an appliances that is installed in another country and which will have different working/codes of practice :rolleyes:

All manufacturers of boilers expect them to be serviced annually.

In England many people avoid annual services.

I dont know why they charge so much for a service when wages are much lower than the UK.

Tony

I dont know why they charge so much for a service when wages are much lower than the UK.

Tony

Probably because they know that due to years of neglect every boiler service will require a major overhaul & a sack load of parts fiting, a bit like in this country. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back