Oil Boiler Service - what should it include?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Booked my WorcesterDanesmoor 12/14 Oil boiler in for a service on Wednesday as it's not been serviced for 3 years. :rolleyes: Last service I had the burner was replaced however my plumber has since retired so I'm using one recommended by my oil supplier as it gives me a free breakdown cover with parts and labour too. I'd just like to know what the service should cover as it's taken them 2 months to confirm the appointment after several telephone calls and they do seem a bit 'vague' on the phone when I asked so I'm not feeling 100% confident. If I know what they should do as a minimum then at least I'll have an idea if all is well or not.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Whilst its sometimes not so important if a gas boiler service is missed, its far more important with an oil boiler as it can get quite sooted up and the efficiency can fall off if its not seviced at least every year.

Tony

Whilst its sometimes not so important if a gas boiler service is missed, its far more important with an oil boiler as it can get quite sooted up and the efficiency can fall off if its not seviced at least every year.

Tony

Your oil boiler experience is obviously different from mine. The Worcester Danesmoor and Heatslave models run cleanly for several years in most cases without attention. The Heatslaves are run harder being combi, but even so two years is not unreasonable. There are many other boilers can run for extended periods too.

If sooting starts, it can build up in less than a day to the level when the boiler will not run, so a year is irrelevant.

Mr Tony is correct. best get it done every year,

check tank
check filter
check oil pipe run for leaks
clean heat ex
change nozzle
check flex oil line
clean fan
check drive dog
check oil pressure
check heat ex access plate seal
check flue
combustion checks
cuppa tea and p£ss off.
:LOL:

because behind the nozzle is a sintered bronze filter, now, as i dont carry a fekkin electron microscope, or want a fekkin callback for a smokin boiler, i change the fekkin nozzle, once a year.

you fekkin morons. :LOL:

because behind the nozzle is a sintered bronze filter, now, as i dont carry a fekkin electron microscope, or want a fekkin callback for a smokin boiler, i change the fekkin nozzle, once a year.

you fekkin morons. :LOL:

Pity you don't fit a paper element filter in the oil line which would catch more than the sintered bronze filter ever would. YOU change the nozzle 'cos your boss tells you to. Us who are able to think know that most nozzles work for years. Even the Danfoss manual says nozzles need to be changed only when combustion figures cannot be achieved. What happens, just suppose, that you change a nozzle and the figures are worse than with the old one, how do you justify leaving the boiler in a worse condition than you found it, mmm?

I always change the nozzle on an oil service, because that's the way I was taught (by Riello)

And they toe the Oftec line. :rolleyes: I've been to boilers that hadn't been serviced for 12 years, and the combustion figures were fine.

funnily enough ,i change nozzles on sites with paper filters, glass bowls, or no filters. I dont actually give a flying fekk.
:LOL:

What happens, just suppose, that you change a nozzle and the figures are worse than with the old one, how do you justify leaving the boiler in a worse condition than you found it, mmm?

??????? what the fekk are you talking about. ?

In this pile of vitriol I don't see any mention of manufacturer instructions.

With new oil boilers now commonly having manufacturer warranties of 3-5 years (dependent on evidence of annual servicing), their stipulations should be followed.

It is safer to follow the manufacturer's definition of a 'service'.

Any other definition (ie: your own personal preferences) would not be carry any credence with trading standards. Or the manufacturer if the boiler failed in warranty with a 4 yr old nozzle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back