What is a Boiler 'Service' ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been wondering, what should actually be done during a service on a boiler?

Comparing it to my car, I at least have the oil changed, new plugs and timing, etc, checked. They also do a general vehicle safety check and flag any upcoming problems.

So, what work should be done during a service on a boiler?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
it was found that taking bits off to brush then clean causes more problems than just examining it, testing the flue gases for good burning, and correcting any defects that are found.

Every time you touch parts or take then apart there is a risk you will make something go wrong :(

Army lorries are particularly prone to faults caused by over-maintenance. The soldiers keep tightening things up until they break.

Varies greatly from boiler to boiler, the answer is detailed in your manual.
I never get new spark plugs with a normal service

Sponsored Links
During a normal service on a standard boiler nothing will need changing, all that will need doing is cleaning checking pressures and a couple of minor adjustments then safety checks

Sorry if I'm wrong but my cynical side detects that what the OP might be driving at is boiler servicing is either pointless or the people who perform them are worthless or both.

Sorry if I'm wrong but my cynical side detects that what the OP might be driving at is boiler servicing is either pointless or the people who perform them are worthless or both.

I wouldn't say it was pointless, I just wondered if there were certain things that I would need to make sure were done / replaced / checked , to avoid being ripped off !

Certainly wouldn't say the people doing it were worthless, the advice I have had here and from the tradesmen I've had in to do work has been extremely useful and valuable.

I wasn't really after specifics, but for the record I have a Baxi Bermuda 552 in the chimney behind a Gas Fire.

then that needs without fail servicing every year

about 40mins to an hour to do properly

as has been said if you have the makers book then what is needed to be done is written down

:)

I'll take that back then. In your case (a CF back boiler) servicing is very important and the engineer should at least clean deposits thoroughly and check ventilation, check working/burner gas pressures, flue performance/spillage, pilot/ flame picture, flame failure safety devices (thermocouple) as well as the fire front.

As for being ripped off, worry more about being hospitalised or worse if it's not done properly.

I'll take that back then. In your case (a CF back boiler) servicing is very important and the engineer should at least clean deposits thoroughly and check ventilation, check working/burner gas pressures, flue performance/spillage, pilot/ flame picture, flame failure safety devices (thermocouple) as well as the fire front.

Now thats a service....glad theres more engineers out there still servicing the bbu's.

Are you still changing the gaskets?

Dave

Me! - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole - not lately anyway.

PS. SW, you've got me there, what gaskets?

Indeed a must to have checked every year, not just the boiler, but space around it, chimney, ventilation, flueing, the whole lot.
The last one I checked got immediately condemned as there was enormous spilling of fumes into the room, even with a window open. Distinct soot traces up to 2 metres away, they must have been well stoned on CO.

Here we go again the fear about doing a basic job ,servicing a back boiler with all the STANDARD SAFETY checks

The gasket holds the 2 parts of the heat ex together.

Half a days work..... 2 hours once you have done one.

Its amazing how many leaky back boilers Ive repaired as most gas engineers quote for a new heat ex, and when I get called in, its a 4 quid part.

The 30 year old Baxi's heat ex's are tough but its a 'niche' to get into... especially when its all iron off the boikler.

Dave

Fear namsag? It's more that I can't be asked to answer the following comments:

"The last bloke didn't say anything about needing a vent".

"It's always worked OK".

"How much? what just for a service" etc, etc, etc .................................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back