Boiler service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

If I have my CH boiler serviced (75,000btu conventional boiler, think it's a Thorn), what work should I expect to be done?
Should I expect the casing to be dismantled to reveal the insides, cleaned thoroughly inside, checked for correct working, gas pressure check and what else?
What would be a reasonable price to pay for a decent service, I live in Norfolk near the seaside, and should I get a certificate to say that it's been done properly.

Thanks for any help/advice provided.

Regards
UKTech

Sponsored Links
Have a look at what it says in your boiler's servicing manual, that should give you a good idea

You only need a certificate if you are letting the place. Certification and servicing are totally separate things.

If you ask your engineer I am sure he will complete a Householder Safety certificate, although at my comapny the engineer's work sheet (you have a copy) will have all the information you need on it ;)

Sponsored Links
A sefety check (as required for lanlords gas report) is just that. It is normally done without dismantling the boiler.

Boiler service is what the makers say should be done every 12 months. Usually clean burner, pilot burner, sweep heat exchanger, gas rate etc. Service, as far as I am concerned, is to restore boiler to as near orignal operation as when boiler was new. That is just me- different people different strokes.

You dont say what boiler model or type you have.

If its an old one ( that includes most floor standing ) with a cast iron heat exchanger then considerable cleaning is usually necessary but that can depend on when it was last serviced properly.

That can be quite time consuming as is any work on a back boiler with fire.

On a modern boiler there is much less to do although on a condensing premix type a flue gas analysis should be done.

It may be cheaper in Norfolk but we charge £55 for most boilers but more for cast iron or when a premix boiler needs to have the burner removed. We also expect servicing to be done during the warmer months and we fit int in as we can and usually at least a week ahead in case its really a repair thats needed.

More relevant is what the engineer chooses ( or is expected ) to do. British Gas only really do a safety check with a flue gas analysis and if thats within limits that ALL they do. Thats faulted in my view as a visual inspection of the inside is a very important aspect.

I have this fear that you are one of these people who will want to stand behind the engineer asking him exactly what he is doing at his every move and ticking off the boxes on your check list.

Tony

You dont say what boiler model or type you have.
Tony

In my first query I thought it was a Thorn boiler but after looking I see it is called a Glow Worm Hideaway and I also think it's the 60,000btu version. I couldn't find the manual but have since downloaded it and it has the servicing details in it as mentioned above, which are really more or less what I thought they were.

I have this fear that you are one of these people who will want to stand behind the engineer asking him exactly what he is doing at his every move and ticking off the boxes on your check list.

Tony

He who pays the piper calls the tune.

You don't like the customer to look as you don't do anything useful. The stuff most likely to break down is the circuits with water going through them - but you don't touch those do you?

A boiler service is about safety and efficiency. The point of a boiler service is to service a boiler strangely enough. How exactly do you propose touching the "circuits with water in them?" Drain the entire system? Use some X-Ray specs?

If you read through the forum posts you soon get the picture. Nearly always crud to blame somewhere along the line.

Wow! Some people on here are very touchy aren't they, I only asked a simple question and now there's narky comments and bad feelings.

I've asked my question and had some great encouraging answers which is all I wanted, and thanks for those, but I'd hate to think I'd started an argument.

I will be interested in what my engineer is doing as I'm that sort of inquisitive person being a technician myself, but I'm not into breathing down his neck or marking off a list.

Thanks to all for the answers, I'm off.

UKTech

If you read through the forum posts you soon get the picture. Nearly always crud to blame somewhere along the line.

I didn't realise crud in a system affected burner pressures, flame picture, gas analysis, gas rating etc. This post is about servicing and what should be expected on one. If you have any issues about what has already been said, why don't you download a manual for a boiler look in the service section and try to find where it mentions about touching pipework.

UKTech,You asked a simple question but some of the answers were provided by people who know F/A about boiler servicing and all they do is wind up other posters.A conventional boiler with a cast iron heat exchanger should always be a strip and clean followed by all safety and operational checks together with a flue gas test.All flue checks must be done on open flued boilers together with a check of ventilation where applicable.Its not that hard.

Actually Joe, whilst not to want to be seen to encourage you, when I service a boiler, I do include an assessment of the water flow through the boiler.

Unlike the gentleman at the party last night who has bought a mechanical flow meter to insert in his pipes, I assess the flow rate by measurement of the temperature differential across the boiler flow and return.

Tony

PS No, I did not find out anything about what he had bought apart from telling him it was not necessary to enable him to diagnose the poor flow through his heating system. We were primarily discussing radar imaging and not heating systems. He does not know much about heating but has worked on military electronics system designs all his life.

There is no water carrying serviceable part on a Glow-worm hideaway. Stop judging the entire plumbing, gas/oil/solid fuel/renewable heating and drainage trades simply by the standards of your cheap gas combi swaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back