What to expect in a Boiler service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never had a boiler serviced before (always lived in rented places and the landlord sorted it out).

What should I expect? The guy is booked for tomorrow. Does a boiler service cover a standard list of checks - or do I specifically need to ask him to do anything?

I'm paying £65 for it - which seems reasonable.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say. It's a Potterton Suprima 50, about 15 years old, but still runs without any problems. Hasn't been serviced for many years apparently.

Gas rate, pressure tests.

Hoover out

Check and clear hex.

Check and clear fan. You might need a new turret seal by now too.

Check ekectrodes.

Sponsored Links
The gas engineer expects a cup of tea / coffee and payment on completion :LOL:

The first thing any workman gets in my house is a cup of tea. No less than I'd expect if I was doing the work myself.

Plus they will find everything possibly wrong with the installation :LOL:

Suprimas dont take long to service so if hes in and out in under an hour dont think hes ripped you of! Rushing i could do one very quick

After fifteen years.
No doubt the inner flue duct will be rotted or disintegrated at the terminal end by now. :rolleyes:

If the flue terminal is accessible then a good guy would look down the inner flue tube for signs of corrosion! Normally needs a torch and if during daylight then probably a hood/coat over the head!

That would be the same price that I would charge so its reasonable!

Tony

I had the service today and the guy was in and gone in less than 30 mins.

He did a gas test and issued a "gas safety certificate".

I know he didn't hoover anything or scrape any muck off the combustion chamber.

Did he really do a service (as he quoted for), or was it just a gas safety check?

Operational check and service are two different tasks. Look at the boiler manual. A service is what the manual requires, perhaps more.

A service is preventative maintenance. What you got can only be assumed to be a safety check. If boiler cover never came off, then you did not get a service.

I've just checked the manual and as far as I can tell he hasn't done any of the "service" tasks. Just a gas safety check.

Servicing includes:
Heat Exchanger - Place a sheet of paper under the heat exchanger then using a flat blade tool (Part No. 907736), scrape the flueway fin
surfaces in a downward movement. This will ensure that most of the deposits will be collected on the paper.
Burner - Brush the burner top and check that the flame ports are clear. Any blockage may be removed with a fine wire brush. Turn
the burner upside down and tap gently to remove any debris (Protect the electrode).
Electrode - If the electrode requires cleaning wipe the surface using a solvent.
Main Injector - Omit this operation if the gas rate is correct, otherwise clean by blowing through. Do NOT clear the injector with a pin or
wire.
Fan Assembly - Examine the fan impellor and carefully clean if necessary.
Flue - Inspect the flue terminal and flue/air tube for blockage and integrity, rectify if necessary.

I haven't paid him yet - but as I didn't ask when he was there its probably too late to dispute it.

Wouldn't I reasonably expect a "service" to include the above though?

That would be better described as a "full strip down service". Only really needed every 3-6 years if serviced annually.

If the boiler is in reasonable condition then I would not remove the fan to inspect the impeller every year unless these was any problem expected.

Removing the fan then requires the inlet and outlet seals to be replaced which cost about £20 !

That makes a £65 service into an £85 service which customers don't want to pay because they think that a £55 "safety check" does the same thing!

I also expect to be paid during the visit.

Tony

Thanks. That's reassuring. I'll wait till next year and then get a full stripdown service then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back