Boiler service - what's checked?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am preparing a property I have lived in for several years for letting. It is a 1980s build with a modern gas boiler and reasonably recent hob. The boiler is serviced annually by British Gas under a boiler and central heating contract and I have the paperwork for this which gives an OK status on every occasion.

But prior to getting a landlords safety inspection carried out I discovered that the gas meter is registering a very very small leak, although there is no smell of gas in the premises and never has been to my knowledge.

Question: Will a test of the gas tightness of the overall supply have been automatically included in the British Gas boiler service? I would thought yes, in which case presumably the very small leak now being registered is either new, or within specification (as I gather hobs can leak very slightly and be acceptable).

I am not about to diy a solution - I would just like to know whether the system will have been tested for tightness as part of the due diligence of a boiler service. If not I should like to know what type of service I should have requested (and will request on any other property I may acquire which has a gas supply!).

Sponsored Links
no gas tightness test on a boiler service,only boiler would be checked,how exactly is your meter showing a leak

How "modern" is the boiler. Is there a permanent pilot.

Interesting. At least one company lists a system tightness check as part of their boiler service. If I added the hob into the BG contract then would the system be tested? As I understand it a Landlords Safety Check does.

The meter is registering approx. 0.0015 m3/hour leakage with all appliances off. That doesn't seem much but equals a full cubic metre over a month. Strange that even if I close the house up and go away there's no smell!

Thanks for your assistance - much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A landlord safety check does NOT stipulate a tightness test is carried out

you seem to have answered your own question,just use the company you found that includes a TT,if you are letting the property you will need a gas safety cert,which by law does not require a TT,but most decent gasmen will carry one out. If you are worried you should call national grid on 0800 111 999

BG do a "generic" service -NOT a manufacturers spec. You pay a charge,t he contractor gets peanuts

Unfortunately that company is not local so I can't use them. I am honestly surprised by all this as leaking pipework could be a hazard in the making, and an expensive repair. I get the impression that the approach is that is you can't smell it you haven't got a leak, which seems quite cavalier. I will insist on a tightness test in future before I buy a property, anyway.

Unfortunately that company is not local so I can't use them. I am honestly surprised by all this as leaking pipework could be a hazard in the making, and an expensive repair. I get the impression that the approach is that is you can't smell it you haven't got a leak, which seems quite cavalier. I will insist on a tightness te t in future before I buy a property, anyway.

What company? 0800 111 999 is the national number. They will call and test free of charge, but they will not always repair.
You say the trade is cavalier, and that you will insist on a T before buying another property. Fair enough, but ypu now also have a duty to have your passing gas (stop giggling) investigated. It could be leaking into a void or cavity.

By noting successive meter readings over a period (overnight in fact).

Thanks everyone for your help and in particular with advising that I cannot presume that a Tightness Test has been carried out as part of the various boiler services.

Hey Mr Duck , if you're that concerned then employ the services of a local RGI to carry out a TT......then again you've obviously thought of this although dipping your hand in pocket has swayed you otherwise..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back