Boiler service - what's checked?

so your that worried about a possible gas leak and think people are not doing their job correctly you decide to research RGI s instead of just calling grid out who will be there in an hour free of charge to either leave you on or cut you off or possible even repair it?

Sponsored Links
If you've had a landlords check done by BG they WILL have done a tightness test.
Edit; Just re-read - on a standard annual service a tightness test will NOT be carried out.

As recommended (and clearly necessary) I got an RGI to attend the property today (it's actually unoccupied just now so I had turned the gas off at the meter). He found the problem to be a split aluminium elbow underneath the hob, which he suspected of having been seriously over tightened at original installation. The elbow has been replaced and I am told that the system is now gas tight. That's a good piece of work and I have complemented him to his employer.

My big frustration about this is that annual servicing by BG hadn't picked this up. The property was previously occupied by two heavy smokers and I now suspect that the residual smell from this had masked the (small) gas leakage. In future I shall insist on a system tightness test if it's not in the basic service, and maybe I shall have to use a local contractor rather than BG to get the flexibility.

Sponsored Links
Ok company bit coming up.
Nowhere in BGs terms and conditions does it say a tightness test is included in their annual maintenance inspection.
If a smell of gas had been reported then national grid would have been sent and made safe. BG would then have followed up and made repairs.
There is no obligation to carry out a tightness test on an appliance service.

Many, including me, always do a tightness test with a landlord's gas check.

I will do one with a service if asked beforehand at no extra cost.

Tony

I will do one with a service if asked beforehand at no extra cost.

Tony
...and if you were asked to carry out a TT after servicing the boiler?
In 35 odd years I have never been asked by the customer to carry out a TT.....I also don't carry out a TT on an annual inspection (CP12/16)..and certainly don't carry out a TT on a service.

The bare minimum for a safety/maintenance/annual (call it what you will) inspection is set out in 26.9 GSIUR. No mention or obligation for any TT to be carried out before or after. OP you have had what you paid for and BG have carried out their side of that contract.

Jon

When I was with bg I would have happily done a tightness test if you asked me, but the service is on your heating system so why would anyone take it on themselves to do a check on the gas supply to an unrelated appliance when you didnt even ask or suggest any reason why a tightness test may be required?

Thanks again for all the feedback on this forum. But I would ask that those who seem a trifle irritated note that I have never suggested that the boiler services I had done failed to do work that should have contractually been included. I merely asked the question as to what work was included, as the BG paperwork is very vague and as (it is now clear) other organisations and engineers differ in their approach to a Tightness Test (as I now understand it is called). Indeed the latest BG boiler check sheet I was given has so little information as to be quite unhelpful.

The fact remains that the fault I have now had rectified had in all probability been present for over five years (at which time neighbours have told me the hob was installed), during which time the house has had three owners, and as others have pointed out the fault could have resulted in gas leaking unknown into cavities. This suggests to me that it should be made clear to householders that tightness testing of their gas system, over and above a boiler service, should be carried out periodically to avoid just this sort of situation. And perhaps even more specifically that check sheets after appliance servicing should note clearly that the gas system has (probably) not been tested for leaks other than in the appliances themselves (but that it can be done as chargeable additional work).

And perhaps even more specifically that check sheets after appliance servicing should note clearly that the gas system has (probably) not been tested for leaks other than in the appliances themselves (but that it can be done as chargeable additional work).

It is traditional and legally the norm, to say what HAS been done and not a list of 1001 other things that have not been done.

The reason why I will do a TT if asked BEFORE a boiler service, is that the charge I quote before I start any work is based on what is to be included.

If the customer asks AFTER the work has been done then I am entitled to ask for a further payment.

The reason why I will do a TT if asked BEFORE a boiler service, is that the charge I quote before I start any work is based on what is to be included.

Tony is your yardstick made from elastic rubber?

If it's a dodgy old gaff then I'll do a TT on a CP12 or boiler service, or if the tenant looks like they'll mess around with stuff - like bridge out the meter!

It's funny, though I've never worked for BG, I was always told that a TT was the first thing their employees did when they got out the van.

Most RGIs can check boiler inlet pressure on boilers at the test point of the gas cock or P1.

But the OP is right, get a local RGI - far better service.

Edit; Most paper CP12 forms have a box to tick for TT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back