Boiler service bit of advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all just after a bit of advice.

I've just contacted a local gas engineer to get my boiler serviced and was quoted the standard expected price, but then he asked a few questions about the age of the boiler and when I told him it was 10 yrs old he said would need a different type of service that should be done every 5 years of the lifespan, mentioning a strip down and gasket kit replaced, which will cost more labour plus service pack cost. I've never heard of this before from previous service engineers, and a bit concerned being spun a line.

For info the boiler is a Baxi platinum combi 28 HE

Sponsored Links
Its possible, look in the manual, if it says to take out components for inspection then seals will need to be repalced.

I have a service coming up , 4 year service n the engineer mentioned he will have to take out the burner n clean it.

Then again i used to have a very old combi boiler and a engineer friend on a couple of occasions just cleaned the burner which was easily accesible and did not charge me extra.

The didnt bother with other components as if not faulty no need to touch it.

Nothing wrong with that, in fact he's showing his experience. If the boiler is 10yrs old then it will almost definitely need more than a poke and go and it will need opened up and cleaned and serviced properly, that will require new burner seals etc, unless you can confirm it's had a proper service recently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back