Simple question. Light switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 terminals. L1, L2 and L3, there is no C (common).

Can L3 be used for C?

I assume L1 is for live and L2 for neutral.

Regards
Matt

Sponsored Links
I have 3 terminals. L1, L2 and L3, there is no C (common).
Is it a two-way switch?

Can L3 be used for C?
L1 is more likely to be 'C', but if you have a meter you can check which terminals are connected/disconnected when the switch operates.

I assume L1 is for live and L2 for neutral.
That seems unlikely, because there will be no 'neutral' at a light switch.

However, if you're using this as a one-way switch, i.e. you have only two wires to connect to the switch, then there's only one permutation (out of the three) that won't work.

Matty - you've been given links to articles with lots of information on how lighting circuits are wired, and how fans connect to them.

The fact that you're assuming what you are about switches (both here and in the diagrams in your other post) shows that you either can't be bothered to read them or you have read them and they mean absolutely nothing to you.

Either way, your assumptions are scary, and if acted on will cause you immense grief.

Please click here.

Thanks ban-all-sheds.

Perhaps you can enlighten me on my diagram on my other post and just give me a definitive answer, can it be done or not? Thats all I ask.

All I want to do is to wire 3 downlights to a 2G switch and the extract fan to the second switch on the 2G switch.... I just want to be able to operate the lights and the extract fan independantly. Is it so difficult to just say this wire goes here and that wire goes there, connect this to that etc..

I have re-read the documents and links you posted. But as you can see my application/situation is slightly different to the examples documented.

Regards
Matt

Sponsored Links
Okay ban-all-sheds, I have read and re-read and re-read the notes and links which you posted, i think i could wire the three downlights to the switch as follows:-

Untitled_2.jpg

Let me know what you think / if this is correct.

Just need to sort out wiring the extract fan to the other gang then. :LOL:

Regards
Matt

I can't see anything wrong with that diagram. Personally I would put the permanent live (red wire) at the switch in L1 and the switched live (black with red sleeve) in L2 but it will work either way.

Of course though, any new electric cable that you buy will be in the new colours:

i.e Brown for Red
Blue for Black
Green/yellow earth sleeving is the same
Brown sleeving/tape instead of Red for the switched Live.

Also, although I am not too familiar with downlights, it may be easier to take one feed cable from the junction box for the downlights and link them together i.e one feed cable from junction box to downlighter 1, cable from there to downlighter 2 and from there to downlighter 3.

This is just to avoid having a junction box crammed with a lot of cables but either way is perfectly safe and fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back