Simple question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried searching but I can't quite find what I need...

... I am going to be fitting spotlights once the ceilings have been plastered. The existing wiring for the light has 4 wires, live, neutral, earth and a second live (which I presume is the switch).

I obviously only need a live earth and neutral for daisy chaining the spotlights, how do I connect the 4 wires into this configuration?

Thanks

John :)

Sponsored Links
4 way junction box, then loop the 3 to each light or transformer

1. You will need to keep the joint accessible
2. Buy a 4-terminal joint box and connect the wires up the same way as they were in the old light fitting (you did keep a note, didn't you :) )
3. The new lights will connect one wire to where all the neutrals connect and the other to the switched live wire. this will probably be one of the blacks - should have a red sleeve on it.

There's diagrams on how to do it also in the WIKI and FAQ. See the top of the elect forum.

Thanks for that. I didn't keep a note of how they were connected up and I can't seem to make sense of the wiki pictures. Maybe I shouldn't look at them when I've just got up from nights.

Anyway, here's picture:

DSC00007.jpg

From left to right..... The switch? Earths, Lives, Neutrals.

Which one does the switch need to be joined to?

Sponsored Links
It looks the way you describe it. The switch would already be connected between the loop live and the single (switched live) .To ensure the assumptions are correct, isolate the supply to the lighting circuit (not at the switch, at the consumer unit). If you connect a continuity tester between the loop live (bunch of reds) and the single red and operate the switch on/off you should see a short/open circuit on the meter.

If this is not the case, do not continue !

Connect your lights between the switch live and loop neutral.
EDIT: You will need to sleeve the earths with green/yellow sleeving.

Thanks for that, so when I've tested the circuit between the switch and the bunch of reds and I find that it opens/closes when the lightswitch is on/off...... what do I do then!?

Everything you need to do has been posted already. If the information given still is not enough then I really don't think you should tackle this yourself as to be fair you don't know hat you are doing. Do you really want to put your own and family's lives at risk by "having a go" with electricity - it can be lethal. Why not pay a few hundred quid and get a recommended, qualified electrician in, and sleep at night ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back