Simple waste pipe connection question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I'm looking to install a new sink into an existing waste pipe and I don't have any plumbing experience. My only sticking point is connecting the pipework from the bottle trap into the waste.

The first photo shows the chrome pipework from the bottle trap and the 2 seals and nut that came with it. The second photo shows the waste pipe and elbow joint I want to connect the chrome pipe to (I will be boxing in the pvc pipework).

I thought the type of fitting the elbow joint is means I'd be able to just apply some jointing compound to the chrome pipe and slot it in but the chrome pipe is a couple of mm too narrow for that.

So; can you tell me if I would be doing the right thing to just use the black seal on the chrome pipe to get the snug fit into the elbow joint (as in the third picture)? And should I use a jointing compound as well for good measure?

Many thanks for any help in advance, I realise this is a simple one!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Not as simple as it first seems. Chrome waste pipes from decorative bottle traps aren't a standard size, you will need a compression elbow to fit it. You can't use solvent fittings on it.

CPE32.jpg

You need something like this

Ok thanks. Just measured up and the pvc pipework leading to the existing elbow is 36mm and the chrome pipe is 35mm. If anyone has a link to a suitable compression elbow for these measurements that would be great because on first look I'm struggling to find one.

Cheers

Adam

Sponsored Links
you must have a posh house if you are using chrome waste pipe in the kitchen :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back