single ended pump for whole house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The hot water supply to my entire flat is very low, and I am planning to install a single ended water pump just for the hot water supply.

The problem that I think I may have is with the supply to my kitchen mixer tap, since the cold water supply to this tap is from the rising mains, and I belive that this is not permitted under water regulations.

What can I do so that I can improve the hot water to all my taps?

many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Can you give the plumber boys more info regarding boiler type and system ,e.g. combi ,non-combi etc...........

don't worry you have another 7 hours to do that, they don't get up much before 6. :LOL:

----------------------------

Has everyone remembered to put their clocks BACK (hopefully no one will notice you took it in the first place)

They be posting soon in your 'Electric Section' asking you how to adjust the electric clock back 1 hour :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The hot water is heated and stored in a hot water cylinder by an electric immersion heater. In fact all the cold water taps, including both bathroom taps and kitchen tap and supplied from the rising main. I know this because I have kept the cold water cystern tank empty, but yet cold water is fed to all the cold water taps.

I think you'll find this is current practice, with all of the cold water taps in a dwelling being from the rising main so that they are all drinking water. I think it is ok to hava mixer tap connected to the rising main provided the mixing takes place at the tap outlet, ie outside the tap

How do I find out where the mixing takes place? I am planning to use ordinary mixer taps from an UK DIY store.

I guess if there are pumps available for pumping an entire house, it must be ok to add a single impeller pump just for the hot water, even if this pumped hot water is supplying a kitchen mixer tap which already mixes hot water with the resing mains cold water.

Logically it shoud be ok.

What is the best way to determine the rising mains cold water pressure?

Just check they meet the current water regs for mains water connection.

To measure the pressure, you need a pressure gauge to 200psi, and a tap adaptor. You also need to check the available flow rate. Time for 1/2 minute into a bucket and measure the volume. You may find it's not a pressure problem, but flow rate.

Do I use a twin or single ended pump ?

Will I not have a problem with a twin ended pump since all the cold taps are supplied from the rising main?

Am I correct to understand that a single ended pump can be connected between the hot water storage and the mixer taps, where it mixes with the cold rising mains water?

thanks in advance

Sorry but I don't know anything about the pumps. If I wanted high pressure hot water I would replace the hot water storage tank with a thermal store instaed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back