Single glazed heat loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A question if I may?

We have a conservatory on the back of our bungalow that needs demolishing, but we have other works to start and complete before this can be done.

Between the ice cold conservatory and our kitchen are two single glazed sliding doors, which have the thermal efficiency of a sieve.

I'm wondering if I screw perspex over the external side of the doors will it help keep the cold out by forming a thermal void between the glass and the perspex?

Thank you.
20240119_181435.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes it will. Whether it'll lower your heating bills to the point where it pays you back the cost of a Perspex sheet before the whole thing is demolished (is the door going?) depends on how much you end up paying for Perspex

You can do it on the inside too, for two pockets of trapped air

Sponsored Links
Find a local foam supplier and make a plug.
They will cut sponge foam to fit and push in.

If you don't want to walk through then just buy 1200mm x 2400mm polystyrene sheet from DIY store and cut to size and shove in

:cool: Yes it will. Whether it'll lower your heating bills to the point where it pays you back the cost of a Perspex sheet before the whole thing is demolished (is the door going?) depends on how much you end up paying for Perspex

You can do it on the inside too, for two pockets of trapped air
Once the conservatory is going to be removed I intend to put upvc doors in in there place, but that is straight forwards either.

For now it's just trying to reduce the cold air ingress. I'm not concerned about off setting the perspex cost against any heating cost.

I'll probably put the perspex cost through my business

Find a local foam supplier and make a plug.
They will cut sponge foam to fit and push in.

If you don't want to walk through then just buy 1200mm x 2400mm polystyrene sheet from DIY store and cut to size and shove in
The doors are used daily, they are access to the back garden,but thank you.

Ok.

Get and find a set of doors preferably free and hang.
eBay.gumtree ect. Second hand set.
Hang this side and put draft excluder around.
I've done similar but single doors leading to my garage to give better installation.
Picked door up free off gumtree.

1000011106.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back