single light from ringmain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this is proabably not ok to do but, looking at an old diy manual it suggested it was possible to run a light using a spur from a ringmain as the power source. i have a room with at present no lighting circuits at all but there are a couple of sockets......so, could i run a ceiling light off this as long as it\\\'s not also connected to the main lighting circuit ? or is that totally illegal?

Sponsored Links
Run a spur in 2.5mm cable from the ring main (nearest socket)
Fit a switched fused spur (FCU) by the door - this will be your light switch
Put in 3amp fuse in FCU
Run a length of 1mm or 1.5mm cable from the load side of the FCU to your light fitting

and then Robert is your mother's brother!

Why can't you wire via the existing ceiling circuits feeding other rooms, do you live in a flat?

The solution given is perfectly acceptable, but if possible connecting to the existing lights is the best option.

If you go down the suggested route, take the cable from the load side to the light switch, then you switch the live via the cable that extends up to the ceiling lamp location.

Fuse the spur at 3a

I suggested using the FCU as the light switch so he doesnt have a separate fused spur somewhere.

My suggestion: RING > Switched fused spur > light

Yours: RING > fused spur > light switch > light

Yours better solution only if its important for the light switch to look smart / match others in the house. He doesnt say what the room is but I would guess its an add-on of some sort as it hasnt been provided with any lighting feed.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys! the room is an add-on that i inherited....it would be a real pain to run cable from a light in another room....but the fused/switched spur sounds like the best option for simplicity.

thanks very much for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back