Adding Light from mains spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read some other posts on adding a light from a ringmain and one mentioned that you cannot add a spur from a spur.

I am making a utility room in the back of my garage and there is a double socket there but no light. However - I think that the double socket must be on spur as there is only one cable going to it. How can I connect a light from this as a source?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It could be the end socket on a radial, so you can connect a FCU on it down fusing it to a current suitable to operate your lighting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If it is a spur from your ring final circuit, you could change that socket to a 13A FCU(fused connection unit) then take a socket off that and then down fuse again to your lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my intention was originally to remove the socket and replace with a junction box. from the junction boa run2 cables, 1 to a socket and one to the light (through a 3amp fused switch).

Should I do the above but with a 13a FCU instead of junction box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, if it's not a radial, swap the socket you have for 13A FCU with RCD protection if not already protected by one,
Then connect 2.5mm cable between the FCU and a new socket, then down fuse using another FCU to the light circuit.
So it's all in line, like a string.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the quick reply - that is really helpful. Will hope to get around to it this weekend!

Sponsored Links