Adding Light from mains spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read some other posts on adding a light from a ringmain and one mentioned that you cannot add a spur from a spur.

I am making a utility room in the back of my garage and there is a double socket there but no light. However - I think that the double socket must be on spur as there is only one cable going to it. How can I connect a light from this as a source?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It could be the end socket on a radial, so you can connect a FCU on it down fusing it to a current suitable to operate your lighting.

If it is a spur from your ring final circuit, you could change that socket to a 13A FCU(fused connection unit) then take a socket off that and then down fuse again to your lights

So my intention was originally to remove the socket and replace with a junction box. from the junction boa run2 cables, 1 to a socket and one to the light (through a 3amp fused switch).

Should I do the above but with a 13a FCU instead of junction box?

Sponsored Links
No, if it's not a radial, swap the socket you have for 13A FCU with RCD protection if not already protected by one,
Then connect 2.5mm cable between the FCU and a new socket, then down fuse using another FCU to the light circuit.
So it's all in line, like a string.

Thanks for the quick reply - that is really helpful. Will hope to get around to it this weekend!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back