1.5sq.mm spur from ringmain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is permitted that 1.5sq.mm cable can be used to spur off a ringmain.
You cannot spur off a spur unless the original spur is from the load side of a 13a FCU.

This 1.5sq.mm is protected by the ringmain fuse of 32amps yet the ccc of the cable is approx. 17-20amps.

This spur feeds a twin socket capable of pulling two loads of 13amps therefore 26amps.

What happens if this occurs? :?:

Sponsored Links
Read some back posts. All socket outlets are rated at 13A max whether they be single, twin or even triple. So they are also not guaranteed not to catch fire if you try doing this, even if you used 2.5mm cable to supply them.

A ringmain is not a foolproof design. Nor is a spur. This is why you should use 2.5mm cable. If you have a 13A or lower fuse then you might use a smaller cable. Otherwise 2.5 gives you a pretty good coverage for the single double socket you are allowed to attach to it. But just use 2.5 or above for any socket, pretty good rule.

Just read this again and I didn't answer the question.

Answer is, It gets hot. Leave it long enough and maybe it catches fire.

So as you outlined it, do not do it.

sorry I have removed a few posts which were "unfair" to others

Sponsored Links
Well mine was a bit - it actually read much worse than I intended it though, and I've certainly got no complaints about how you pushed back.

But who knows what other people may have posted in the meantime?

Shame I can't remember what was in here. Looks like I must have been the only nice guy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back