Single socket from a light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At risk of getting shot down, I'm going to ask anyway :oops:

I have an under stairs cupboard with a single light switch and single 40W bulb. There are no sockets in there and would be a pain to get a spur to it.

My question is, can I run a single socket from the light switch. I know it's a no no due to cable ratings, etc etc, however, all it is for (and ever will be) is my small alarm control panel. The control unit runs from an ac adapter with a max output of 12v 500ma, so 6amps max.

Possible???

Sponsored Links
Is there a neutral at the light switch?

It's becoming more common for there to be one these days, but it's still not very common.

It would be better if you could find a suitable power supply with a trailing mains lead, i.e. not a wall-wart, and connect that to an FCU, but if you have a socket and someone decides to use it for a heavy load all that will happen is that your lights will go out.

Not sure you can get trailing lead ac/dc adapters.

As for the FCU, I thought about fitting one, but what size fuse would I fit for something that is drawing 500ma???

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back