Single Storey Extension 7m RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

thinking of building a single storey extension on the back of my house that would include removing the rear wall and fitting a 7m RSJ (to open it up into a more square room) is a 7m RSJ realistic ? cant find much info online of builds what that sort of size beam, or would it be way to hard to prop up ? any info would be appreciated before i start paying structural engineers and architects, Ta.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly feasible. I would assume a beam depth of ca. 300mm depending on the load - but obviously I wouldn't proceed without structural engineer's calcs.

Possible to do it with 254 deep beams, or even a 203-deep column section; depends on site conditions.
What may be equally important is overall lateral stability, particularly with a 7m wide opening.

Incidentally how much thicker would a beam/column need to be if it were a 2-storey property?

[I am looking at a full width rear extension where I want to open up may use a 7m RSJ to support the existing rear wall].

Sponsored Links
I assumed the beam would be supporting a full storey. Ask a structural engineer for more accurate information.

I seem to remember a previous thread a couple of month ago, where an SE recommended a 405mm high RSJ for a 7m span; of course everyone her rubbished the SE, but still felt the BCO would insist on an SE's calculations. Is it a single, or a double skinned wall being supported.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back