Single storey extension drawing/planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am planning a single storey extension on the back of my 4 bed terraced house, it will be 7m wide (removing the back wall & putting a steel in) & will go out 2.7m. I have consulted a structural engineer over the steel calcs but my question is do i need architects drawings ? the builder is a good friend of mine who will be on a day rate, both of my neighbours have almost identical extensions to what i am planning, i feel i could draw up a perfectly good plan for the builder to work from but do i have to submit a drawn plan to anyone or as this is permissible work do i just notify that I'm doing ?

Attachments

• IMG_9364.JPG
    IMG_9364.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 295
Sponsored Links
There are two aspects:

Planning permission : If what you're doing is permitted development and you don't feel the need to have the reassurance of a LDC (perhaps if you intended selling in the near future and wanted to ease the sales process) then no drawings/permissions required.

Building regs : If you trust your builder enough then you can do it on a building notice rather than 'full plans'. Him being a good friend is arguably a reason that you should have at least a few sketches and drawings just between the two of you... i.e. who's fault is it if a wall gets built in the wrong place or "but you never said you wanted cavity trays/weep holes/wall ties/whatever". Him being on a day rate might solve that in that everything is your fault as the foreman!

Party Wall agreement?

Build-over agreement with the water company due to close proximity to drains

Otherwise, yes to can do this without plans. Whether it will test the friendship to breaking point is another matter.

Sponsored Links
I imagined I would get some comments about testing the friendship (understandably) but honestly we've know eachother since we were 5 & hes been a bricklayer since he 16 (both 40 now) he builds amazing places, flintlock walls, converting listed water mills into homes that sort of thing so i honestly believe he will do this in his sleep, if it wasnt for the fact we are friends he wouldnt even do it, he doesnt really look for jobs like that, its a few courses of bricks & the rest concrete blocks (to be rendered) I would give him a detailed drawing to work from showing measurements & where I want doors/windows & what size. So given the size of the extension I can do it under permissable work but what is a party wall agreement ? and what do i have to do with regard to building regs ? thanks for your help.

also, the structural engineer is asking for drawings, will she be expecting an architects drawing ? not sure why she needs them as the extension shouldnt have any bearing on the house or the integrity of the steel (bet i've got that wrong) !!

also, that green line in the picture (the proposed steel) is currently one big room the same size so the only wall needing removed is the back wall that is in the picture, nothing internally affected.

The house looks reasonably new- I would recommend checking your original permission as many properties have permitted development rights removed by condition. If planning permission is required, drawings will need to be prepared and submitted.

Permitted development, if it does apply, is also subject to relatively complex restrictions which restrict dimensions and the use of materials so you will need to check all those details are in order before proceeding.

Not to mention taking the bread out of the mouths of poor local designers. Don't worry about me when I'm reduced to living in a cardboard box under the pier, fighting the seagulls for discarded chips.

Not to mention taking the bread out of the mouths of poor local designers. Don't worry about me when I'm reduced to living in a cardboard box under the pier, fighting the seagulls for discarded chips.

Don't come here with your sob storey. You could design yourself a nice box.

LOL, we really are talking about a box here ! & you'd have plenty of company under that pier !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back