Architect changed our plans without our concent.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had drawings done for a single storey rear extension. It was originally drawn at 3.6 M deep and the architect applied for planning permission on our behalf, saying it should be no problem.
On the decision date, the drawing was amended by the architect to a 3M deep extension and approval given, without our concent or knowlege.
Incidently the roof construction drawing is still shown as 3.6M.

I now have planning permission for an extension that I would never need planning permission for anyway and a big roof that does not fit on it.

Can someone please tell me what my options are. 2 other properties in the street have 3.6 M deep extensions built in the last few years. I have not approached the architect yet and am firstly looking for advice on the matter and what leaverage I can use against him (a sole trader who works from home), or maybe appeal against the council decision etc.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Allowing for benefit of doubt, it seems he may have revised the layout from 3.6m to 3m to gain the approval, maybe there was some dialogue between him + the planner to that end?

My first approach would be direct to the Planning Approval officer, explain the situation and ask the question. He would hopefully advise if 3.6m is allowable. Once you have the information then approach the architect.

I don't understand your 'big roof that doesn't fit' argument? I presume you havn't built anything yet?

I don't understand your 'big roof that doesn't fit' argument? I presume you havn't built anything yet?

He has submitted one A1 page that cover planning and building regs. He only amended one dimension on the "proposed plan". The "Proposed Section" drawing shows the roof construction and is unchanged.

You wouldn't normally require a section for Planning Approval, he may have used the Building Regs dwg's for Planning Approval also. He's either forgot to change the section or is lazy.

If the section clearly shows a 3.6m depth dimensionally, whilst the revised plan shows 3m............it may help you when discussing with the Planning Officer.

But still I'd try to speak to the Officer asap + get his thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Although he may have altered the drawing at the request of planners - to get the approval, he still should not have done so without your consent.

Many times planners ask for amendments and imply that the plans wont be approved otherwise, but if left the plans may get approved.

Also, it may be worthwhile risking rejection and then going to appeal - and that should be your decision, not the designers

You need to ask your designer why he did this. He is in the wrong, and like you say you now have something which could be done under PD - so perhaps a refund is due, or he resubmits to the original plan at no cost to you

You get one re-submit for free. If you think you will get permission change the dim back to 3.6m and send it in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back