Single zone underfloor heating & open vented system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've got a Y-plan open vented system and are looking to add a single zone UFH in a new conservatory.

We've had an installer round who wants to convert the system to an S-plan and move the pump from the upstairs airing cupboard (by the 3 port valve) to the boiler cupboard downstairs - fair enough i think i follow the logic of the need to create zones but...

he's also saying that we need to change to a presurised sealed system - he's concerned that hot water will be forced through the system vent. Its an old (25+ year) microbore system (with a new boiler and fast recharge cylinder added last year) - lots of hidden pipes etc so concerned (aside from cost!) that it won't be up to operating under higher pressure -

any thoughts?

cheers
Philip

Sponsored Links
I (personally) dont see the need in altering it.
Ive done a similar job before now and kept it dead simple by running a seperate circuit to the airing cupboard, all open vent but had a pump on the UFH manifold controlled by a stat in the conservatory.
When the UFH has been on a while it will take very little from the rest of the system.
Yes it will only run when the house heating is on, but if its a screeded floor it will continue to give off heat for a few hours after the heating is off due to the delay that it has to heat the screed (so you can sit with your g&t in you nice new conservatory after the heating has been off in the rest of the house) .

Cider

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back