Sink decking on existing raised patio base - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi friendly people

I'm planning to lay decking in place of our current raised patio.
I'd like the top of the decking to be close to the current patio height (due to a flower bed between the house and decking, and the height of the DPC not allowing much more height) and if possible want to avoid having to remove the current base.

My plan was to lift the patio slabs, dig channels and sink a frame into the current patio base and then deck on top. The patio base is a sand/ gravel mix (see pic). I'm planning to sit the frame so that it is raised ~10 mm above the current base to allow air circulation under the boards.

Questions:
1) Is this the best idea (i.e. removing slabs and sinking frame into current base) or would there be a better option?

2) If this idea would work, would I need to place a membrane (or tiles?) under the frame to prevent rot?

Thanks in advance for any help/ advice (and appologies for pics, they've been rotated when I uploaded them and don't seem to be able to correct it :confused: )

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back