SIP Panel span length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've used SIP panels to build an extension and have come across a problem in my planning (obviously i'm NO professional) but to keep it simple...i've built the walls either side, so 5m in length protruding FROM the house 3m apart..all fine and the extension is 5m long by 3m wide and the SIP panels i have left are 3m long and 1.2m wide so i planned on putting a length of timber along the 5m length fixed to each wall so as to create a sort of ledge and then simply "rest" the 1.2m wide edges of the 3m lengths in there so in effect i'd have 4 sip panels side by side at the long side (and they're 1.2m wide) so they would cover 4.8m and then cut part of one to fit in the end (hope that makes sense so far) . Then i planned on putting further OSB boards with firrings to get the slant for the rubber roof to go on and that would be it. I've had a thought though about making the SIP panels "longer" than the 3m so that i won't need to extra OSB boards and firrings in that if i put 47mm x 100mm splines in the edges that are 3.6 metres long and then add some insulation and OSB board (if you imagine a stretcher) so that it makes the SIP panels 3.6m then i can simply put a length of wood about 6cm on one 5m wall and then the SIP panels fit all the way across with a bit of an overhang and then there's no need for the extra firrings or OSB but my concern is that as the strength in the SIP panels is down to the lamination of the OSB boards to the insulation that my "extension" of these would make them weaker but it would only be by about 30cm on each end of the SIP panels ?
I hope this makes sense but any advise would be great.
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back