Replacing UPVC conservatory with wooden frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a square shaped conservatory. The bottom third is a dwarf cavity wall and the then it has a standard upvc frame on top and a solid insulated roof.

Despite the roof, it's still too cold in the winter.

Would it be possible to remove the upvc frame and construct a wooden frame in its place? I woukd then osb and clad the outside, and insulate the inside and then board it - almost like SIPS panels..... I would have 1 large window on one side, French doors on the back where there currently are and one side would be solid as its up against neighbours fence. Just an idea.... wondering why it couldn't ir shouldn't be done......

Sponsored Links
Yes you could.

but the studwork frame would need breathable membrane externally then 50 x 25mm battens then the cladding material. The detailing of damp proofing and vapour barriers is key to a timber structure

it’s not ideal fitting framework with a roof in place, but I guess you could do a section at a time and use props where needed.

you might have a building regs issue as it would be an extension not a conservatory - depends whether you are concerned about that ( it could be an issue if you sell)

Thanks Notch. I'm guessing it's already 'an issue' because the roof is solid - so I suppose its already outside the classification of a conservatory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back