Are tie bars necessary in my Conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have just had a 4m x 4m Victorian style conservatory built. Brick dwarf wall, uPVC coated aluminium frame with K glass double glazing and an aluminium framed, 30-degree pitched roof with uPVC capping. The roofing material is polycarbonate, but I am assured that the frame will support a glass roof if required at a later date. (Crawling on the roof is highly unlikely given its material, and the roof has survived high autumn winds without missing a beat). So unless and until I install a glass roof, I would like to omit the Tie-bar inside, which is pig ugly! Is this safe? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The tie bar is there to provide additional support for the roof in extreme conditions under the influence of wind & snow etc. (although we don’t seem to get much of that these days) & transmit the roof loads vertically down through the ring beam. Remove the tie bar & the roof will tend to splay, transmitting side loads into the ring beam which it is not designed for; you could end up with leaks or, at worst, the whole lot could collapse.

That bar is there for as reason dont remove it. It keeps the roof together as well as to help it from pulling apart, it is structual, not just to look pretty.

You wouldnt go into your roof and start removing trusses would you. ;)

Sponsored Links
Sorry for delay - been traveling on biz. Thanks to Richard C. for the detailed response. Note to rm2000: so do you advise that I restore all the roof trusses I removed to mke room for my home cinema then? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back