Conservatory Tie-bars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a large P-shaped conservatory (18ft long by 10ft wide in main section) with a glass roof. There are 2 Tie bars and I've noticed while one is taught and there is no play, the second swings freely and is under no load.

My question is, is this right? Or should I tighten up the lose tie-bar?

Regards

T

Sponsored Links
Hmm, the purpose of the tie bars is to allow for additional roof loadings, snow, wind etc. The fact that one is tight & the other is loose could mean that something has moved but could equally mean they were never set up correctly in the first place! The tie bars should never be so tight they are under stress but should be just tight enough to allow for natural expansion & contraction of the roof panels but give support to additional roof loadings so they don’t apply undue side loads to the ring beam/cons. walls.

How old is the cons? Is it still under warranty? Is the company still trading?

It's about 27 months old. Not sure about the company who built it. If memory serves the company may has split into 3 as the partners didn't get on.

The wife has just told me one has been loose ever since it was built. In that case should I tighten it up?

Just take out the slack by hand, then give it an extra turn.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back