Conservatory Tie Bar random question(s)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owners of our house thought it would make perfect sense to spec a conservatory with no lighting. As it is also the dining room it can make evening meals 'interesting'.

My random question is, if I pay attention to where they are presently tightened too, can I temporarily undo the tie-bars? I would do it on a calm day and for no more than about ten minutes. I assume it isn't a problem as long as they are correctly reinstated?

My intention is to drill two holes in to a short length of reclaimed scaffolding board and slide it up the tie-bars so that once everything is tightened back up the board spans the gap between the two sets of tie-bars. Some bulbs will then be suspended from the board.

I guess this prompts two further questions. Will the weight of the board present a problem? Will having a rigid bridge between the two sets of tie-bars impair some kind of necessary movement?

Sponsored Links
Probably not, but aesthetically you would probably be better just hanging some lights on a string between the tie bars.

The weight of the roof will present a problem. The tie bars complete the structural triangle of roof and tie bars. Wthout the tie bars the roof will push the walls out sideways as the weight of the roof causes it to try and flatten out.

The weight of the roof will present a problem. The tie bars complete the structural triangle of roof and tie bars. Wthout the tie bars the roof will push the walls out sideways as the weight of the roof causes it to try and flatten out.

Even if they are only undone for ten minutes?

Sponsored Links
Ten seconds could be long enough for the roof to push the walls out sideways far enough to allow the roof to flatten out and collapse into the conservatory. Even if it doesn't fully collapse the walls might have moved far enough apart that the tie bar is then too short to be refitted.

Rest the length of wood on top of the tie bars and hold in place with saddles like these. Replace silver screws with wood screws that bite into the wood to get a more secure fixing.

ae235

or use a metal version of them over the tie bars to hold the timber in place under the tie bars. ( the plastic tends to deteriorate in sunlight and become brittle after a few years, probably sooner in bright sunlight )

Ten seconds could be long enough for the roof to push the walls out sideways far enough to allow the roof to flatten out and collapse into the conservatory. Even if it doesn't fully collapse the walls might have moved far enough apart that the tie bar is then too short to be refitted.

Rest the length of wood on top of the tie bars and hold in place with saddles like these. Replace silver screws with wood screws that bite into the wood to get a more secure fixing.

ae235

or use a metal version of them over the tie bars to hold the timber in place under the tie bars. ( the plastic tends to deteriorate in sunlight and become brittle after a few years, probably sooner in bright sunlight )

Fantastic, thank you for the comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back