Cracked internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
My first post and hoping I can get some sound advice.
I'm in the process of renovating an old property. It has brick internal walls which had some cracks on both sides, the plaster has been knocked off and non of the bricks are cracked.
The cracking looks old, someone has tried to fill them at some point. I suspect that the problem occurred due to the wall between living room and dining room being knocked through and the lintel not being substantial enough (it's metal but doesn't look very big) and not having been tied in at either end, this has caused the two walls between both rooms and hall way to shift slightly.
I was wondering if I should use wall stitching bars on both walls or would it be ok just to dot and dab and then plaster board over?
Also, what's best way to tie in both ends of lintal

Sponsored Links
I think the first thing is to work out why the movement occurred. If it undersized , as you suspect, then it would have bowed at its centre. The original wall would have kept the hall wall vertical. Removal of this wall might have allowed the hall wall to drift towards the hall.
Drilling a couple of holes on the centre line of a beam has very little effect on its overall strength, so I would drill it and bracket it out side ways to the wall. The brackets should be say 9" along the beam, allowing a couple of holes at 3" centres. the leg that lays on the wall, I think should be much longer, else you will just be pulling one brick out, say 2' with a fixing in every brick along its length. Needless to say the brackets should be back to back so the two bolts go through the same two holes in the beam.
For the stitching, I would just dig out the pointing and mortar in straightened out stainless steel wall ties with a rich mortar, say 3:1across any cracks.
Frank

It's hard to say from your description. Could you post a photo. When you say old property is that a 1930s old?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back