Vertical crack in internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6676C50F-A9E6-4ED9-BF63-FEE02E9C0DDA.jpeg
34A3F852-41A4-45E2-8AFB-49190047AD56.jpeg
A8AAA32F-4395-457A-96A6-09CF5FE35C4C.jpeg
Hi - I’ve just started bricking out the internal skin of a wall under a window to convert the window to french doors.

I’ve had a SE visit to check the lintel is ok and have also notified Building Control and got the go ahead to begin.

There was no indication of any cracks on the internal plaster or on the outside wall.

however, as I’ve started taking plaster / bricks off, you can see a vertical crack under the window that has cracked all the bricks in half (as photos below).

It was there before I started any work as I could see it as soon as plaster came off. Is that a concern and what could causes of that be? No other visible cracks anywhere in house.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
James1979, good evening.

Given the section of brick is being removed, no problems.

As to what caused the crack? the bricks are [obviously] a lot more recent than the outer leaf, not sure what type of bricks have the crack, possibly a sand lime / Concrete type??

Given the cracked brick section is an infill and may not be secured at each side?? worth looking for? it is possible that an impact on an almost free standing section of brickwork has cracked centrally.

Ken.

They look like calcium silicate bricks, and if so are prone to cracking like that mostly from shrinkage.

Many thanks for the reply - really useful and reassuring! I’ll carry on and take the rest out.
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
was that brickwork built off the floor?

the crack looks to me like the result of hogging.

The bricks weren't on the floor and extend down into the ground but can't see the bottom of the wall. I've finished the job now and there weren't any other cracks so not sure what it was but fingers crossed nothing else 'moves' now the doors are in!

Just not sure what to put in the cavity at the bottom of the door now (I posted separate thread https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/cavity-insulation-round-new-french-door.553271/) but otherwise all done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back