Cracks under windows on internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed some hairline cracks running down the internal wall under the windows - they run vertically down almost perfectly vertically in fact from the corner of the window opening - in one downsatirs room with 2 windows there is a crack at each corner, some running down the wall to the floor. I've spotted a couple of shorter ones upstairs.

The house is 13 years old, in Essex (clay), brick / block. The internal walls are dry lined dot and dab. Current windows are timber frame.

We've had a lost conversion added 5/6 months ago which would alter the loading above I guess.

Can't see anything on the corresponding areas outside at the moment.

I only spotted them because we have taken all the blinds / curtains down to have the windows replaced with UPVC.

Should I be worried? Patch and repair or get them looked at?

Sponsored Links
If the cracks are perfectly straight & vertical, it sounds as if the board joints have failed &, assuming they were properly taped when the house was built, it’s usually due to movement. It’s quiet common to get such cracks in a conventional base/finish plastered property after a period of years & although I'm not a great lover of dry lining, it's usually more tolerant of movement.

Additional loading of the loft extension could have some bearing or it could just be as a result of all that hoofing about up there during conversion. If they are hairline, I don’t think you have much to worry about unless they start to open up significantly but if you get corresponding cracks appearing on the outside, you need to get further advice. As for repair, you could try fillers but once a board joint fails it’s almost impossible to stop the crack repapering using just filler. More substantial remedial work is usually required which involves raking the finish plaster back to the boards, reinforcing the joint with new tape, filling & re-skimming.

Thanks guys - reassuring!

I did wonder if it were board seams but it'd have to be very lucky (or unlucky) to get a seam at the corner of each window wouldn't it? Although the windows are about 120cm wide I think so maybe they do fall in line.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - reassuring!

I did wonder if it were board seams but it'd have to be very lucky (or unlucky) to get a seam at the corner of each window wouldn't it? Although the windows are about 120cm wide I think so maybe they do fall in line.

That's the most likely place they will be.
As Richard has stated, rake them out, re-apply joint tapes and skim over.

You may have just been unlucky with the original boarding out; it’s not rocket science but, when I do it, I would certainly never board out so joints coincide with known stress points but, to many, such thinking could just as easily be equivalent to rocket science. ;)

when I board out (dot'n'dab method)
Depending on window size, I would normally board level to the window reveals, with the measurement being 1200mm between the cracks, I assume that the window opening is near 1200mm. That's why I find it to be likely area for joint tapes.
Now back to the rocket..........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back