Horizontal cracks on internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a bungalow which has a double brick skin for the outside Walls. When we moved in there were cracks about 12" from the ceiling in the lounge, bedroom and kitchen. They were around 1mm in width and went along most of the wall and round into the window. The windows has recently been replaced so kind of expected a few cracks that needed filling.

The lady we bought from told me these cracks had been there for years and after consulting with the builder of our house said that 'due to the design of the build being double skin, sometimes cracks occur due to temperature difference etc...nothing to worry about'.

Anyway we filled all these cracks when we decorated. I've just noticed today they have started re-appearing. They are very very fine and are only on the corners of the wall close to the windows.

I've taken a secon look and the exterior walls
of the house are fine, there is no cracking at all, it's just on the inside wall.

My internal Walls are bricked, rendered then skimmed with plaster.
I've tapped the wall to see if any render has come loose etc, but this seems fine. I've also checked with a straight edge and spirit level and looks ok.

I'm by no means a builder, but just need some advice on what to do. The original cracks were filled last November when we bought the place.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have you got a hipped roof? Bungalows have got heavy roofs and sometimes spread if the corners details of the roof structure are not right.

Sponsored Links
Horizontal cracks near to a roof are probably related to some sort of roof spread or movement of the wall plate

Having said that, old cracks just filled in will normally crack again even with no more movement

has anybody been up in the loft with a saw? on the roof timbers?

post some pics.

Yeah I could be looking into this too much!

But then again it could be something worse!

I've been up the loft loads doing stuff, but not with a saw lol!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back