Another underlay and materials thread (and other random questions) for laminate

Being so thin I suspect it will have only a small impact on, well, impacts! Better than nothing though.

Sponsored Links
woah.. wait - I thought I was going for density!

I was half thinking 3mm rubber + plus my green sheets - back to that plan :)

Like I say, it will probably be 'OK', but half an inch of rubber is still better than 3mm of rubber! ;) Gold leaf is very dense, but put it on your floor and it won't make a jot of difference! Perhaps it would be better to say more density and more thickness equals more absorption.

ha - fair point :)

problem is finding the thicker stuff locally in Glasgow area..

Sponsored Links
The 3mm stuff plus fibre sounds like a reasonable compromise to me. Sooner or later you're just gonna have to stop hang wringing and get on with it!

heh - I am keen to get on with it - I have been working away last cple of weeks - so all I have had is my imagination and forum time :)

This weekend it is on - and no more posting.. well not on underlay at least :)

The deeds on the flat, do they allow you to fit hardfloorings? Many do not specifically because of the noise impact on properties below the floor, worth checking before buying/installing.

Sooner or later you're just gonna have to stop hang wringing and get on with it!

Well finally got to do it this weekend..

Turned out not nearly as bad as I thought. Spent a lot of time on the wooden floorboard subfloor, screwing down loose boards that had been cut for services, removing old squeeky nails etc.

Went with the green fibreboard only, seems to be quite good at leveling 2 or 3 mm here or there. Sound isnt too bad either, I think this is due to the weight of the laminate - the 12mm planks seem to be good enough and the fact the room is small enough (under 20sqm). Not many bouncy areas, other than a ski slope at the door way, which I helped 'level' with a few strips of cloth tape :eek:.

Once the furniture is in to weigh it down further I think it should be ideal. Already it seems quieter than when the old done-in carpet on plywood was down as I must have stopped about a dozen squeaky areas!

Cheers again, no more random laminate threads from me you'll be pleased to hear :)

The deeds on the flat, do they allow you to fit hardfloorings? Many do not specifically because of the noise impact on properties below the floor, worth checking before buying/installing.

nah all ok there - the house is ancient and when first build it was wooden floors throughout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back