Laminate underlay options to cover a 14mm 'step' into kitche

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to laminate my whole downstairs, with the lobby, living room and dining room currently carpeted, and the adjoining kitchen and utility tiled.

I am planning to lift up all the carpet, but the tiles are going to be a big job to take up, so will laminate on top of the tiles. However, once the carpet and carpet underlay is up, there will be about a 14mm step up to the surface of the tiles.

I am considering buying some thick board underlay (7mm) for the previously carpeted area, then using cheap 2mm underlay on top of it, and also on top of the tiles, this would make the step about 7mm. Then I plan to use a laminate t-bar strip to join the dining room floor to the kitchen, covering the remaining step.

What do people think, or do you have some better suggestions? thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Remove your tiles or you will probably regret it.

In fact, think carefully about laminate flooring in a kitchen area or you'll probably regret that too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back