Laminate underlay confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

I'm a bit confused by the options i've got for underlay on my laminate. On the packaging for the laminate, which is Wickes Arreton laminate, it says minimum 2mm and maximum of 3mm of underlay. Yet when I look online, I generally see lots of recommendations for sonic gold 5mm and 6mm underlay. I've actually used that on some laminate in one room and am happy with it (also with the same laminate). However, its a small room and traffic is relatively low.

The room mentioned above has a floating floor with chipboard base and its been fine.
The rest of downstairs is a suspended floor with floorboards (60's build). I'm going to be lifting those to stick insulation under.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Best underlay is Timbermate excel which is 3.6mm
Ouch, thats well out of my price range.

The sonic gold looks like its about £25 for 15m2 so 1/3 the price. Any advice on why its saying I can't use 5mm on the packet of laminate though?

Thanks for the input.

Not a fan of that to be honest as to thick and doesnt feel firm enough for me.
you will be think with any thickness to be honest.

Sponsored Links
Not a fan of that to be honest as to thick and doesnt feel firm enough for me.
you will be think with any thickness to be honest.
Did you mean fine with any thickness? Just a bit weird how you’ve only got 1mm of tolerance according to the packet. Bit strange I thought.

Is it better to go thicker on underlay when you’ve got a more uneven floor?

yeah be fine with 5mm , QA products do a good range.
Best to level the floor imo mate.
Yeah I’ll get it level the best I can. It’s already got laminate down im just replacing it. Just wary of what I may find when I lift it. There’s been some shoddy work I’ve had to fix in this house already.

Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back