Underlay for laminate vs vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of rooms I'm deciding whether to get laminate or tiled vinyl. If I go for laminate, then I'm keen on the thicker 10 or 12mm ones for the more quality feel under the foot. The tiled vinyl (I believe this is also called luxury vinyl) is quite a bit thinner (3mm to 5mm). One of the rooms is on ground level with a concrete floor, the other room is on the 1st floor with a wooden sub-floor (none will have underfloor heating). Whether I go for laminate or vinyl, I'd like an underlay that helps with noise absorption as well as something that can help improve the comfort of the floor.

The questions are:
1) Does the specific underlay required dependent on the choice of laminate vs vinyl?
2) Does vinyl flooring underlay need to be thicker to compensate for it being a thinner floor than thick laminate?

Sponsored Links
I recently used Moduleo LayRed vinyl click flooring. It has its own built in sound absorbing underlay but I also put some ply down to level things up.

Sponsored Links
For Laminate, Duralay TimbermateXL over concrete or Duralay Multitex is perfect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back