Wood framed conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i'm thinking of revamping an old 3mx3m wood framed conservatory. I intend to replace the uprights to strengthen it a bit more, remove the single glazed windows fitted all round and replace with two 800mm x 1200mm upvc double glazed windows either side. I would also like to use James Hardie cladding for the sides. And then plasterboard inside.
It has a solid flat roof by the way.
Can anyone see any problems with this? i would obviously be adding a lot of extra weight to the sides would this be a problem? and would i be subject to building regs and/or planning permission?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ronnieboy

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks problematic, do you have enough uprights to fix the new Hardy stuff on? I suspect that the roof beam(plate) at the front would have been nailed downwards into the corner posts, how do you intend to deal with this? Again you will have to support the roof as the wooden window frames would stop it bowing while installing the new windows, can they take the weight?
You do not say what is under the windows, wooden cladding on a wooden frame? a dwarf brick wall? How are you going to fix your new corner posts to this and then how are you going to fix the old roof back on the new corner posts.
Frank

Hi Frank and thanks for the reply, on further investigation I have found that there is quite a lot of rot in the uprights and unfortunately think it's beyond my capabilities to do the work as it will involve cutting various types of joints that I don't have the tools or the skill to do, so I will have to take it down and go for a uPVC conservatory instead.
Thanks again,
Ron

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back