Siphoning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to divert a 32 mm waste pipe (from a basin) into a 40mm waste pipe (from a bath), but I am worried that when the bath is emptied that the water in the basin trap might be siphoned out and that I will get foul air traveling up the 32mm pipe.

Is this likely, I would be Tee(ing) the 32mm pipe into the 40mm pipe approximately a metre from the bath?

Sponsored Links
It is not likely to syphon if you have a bath overflow, because this acts as a vent.

And it won`t syphon at all, or allow back flow of smells.if you fit a Hep2-o waste valve to the basin ;)

Nice one NF! I haven't ever tried one of those - are they good, and do you find many cases where they're justified?

Sponsored Links
They're expensive and you have to find somewhere to put them though. Why not just use the normal solution, a trap on the basin with a built in AIR ADMITTANCE VALVE - see definitions.

Granted, they`re expensive but the same size as a straight through trap. I`ve used the mini a.a.v`s too, Both things I have fitted as a prophylactic ;) measure....that and swept bends are my favourite specs. for waste pipes. I personaly think Hep2o`s valves are a brilliant idea........eg. to fit in place of basin trap requires 2x135 degree bends to alter pipe centre line.........OK you can`t use one if the pipe goes thru the wall horiz. from trap. But you can use them as a running trap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back