Sistering Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3x2 ceiling joists (ties) in my house covering a 12ft span. These were deflecting and unsuitable to hang plasterboard from, particularly as I want to board over in the loft and use it for light storage.

A structural engineer came around and recommended I sister the existing joists wth 7x2.

I've had a builder come and do the work, but rather than fix the new 7x2's directly to the rafters as I was expecting. He has fixed them to the existing joists. I guess this is pretty common practise?

It has stiffened the old 4x2's up great, but when you put any kind of weight on top of the 7x2's they are flexing and twisting at the ends. There is only a single row of nails holding the 7x2's along the bottom edge, nothing holding them in at the top which is presumably why they are twisting outwards when load is applied.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back