siting a wireless digistat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a new Worcester Compact cdi Combi boiler installed, with a wireless Worcester Digistat thermometer sited on a wall in the lounge (which is adjacent to the kitchen, where the boiler is sited), so there is good communication. The lounge is a south facing, sunny room, which means that it's naturally the warmest room in the bungalow. This means that the temperature in the lounge reaches 20-21 degrees easily, but unless I whack the thermostat up ridiculously high, the boiler doesn't kick in and none of the other (very chilly north facing) rooms get warm. The bathroom is freezing!

I've read lots of posts from people who have problems with wireless digistats not communicating with the boiler, but at the moment, I really don't have 'central' heating at all, and I would like to move the thermostat into the hall (against the installer's advice). Can anybody advise on a solution? (Thanks for reading this long post!)

Sponsored Links
The installation instructions will tell you not to install the stat where it can be affected by a heat source. A room that is significantly warmed by the sun would come into this category, imo.
You are best placed to decide the best location for it, and you know your man's advice isn't right. Move it to the hall.

There could be other issues regarding the system as a whole, though. rad sizing for example.

I want to know where you live, is the sun really shining there?!

Unlikely to be a communication problem, especially if the problem is worse on cold but bright days.

Put the stat in the hall, but make sure that if the rad(s) there have TRVs fitted, they are set to max.

The installation instructions will tell you not to install the stat where it can be affected by a heat source. A room that is significantly warmed by the sun would come into this category, imo.
You are best placed to decide the best location for it, and you know your man's advice isn't right. Move it to the hall.

There could be other issues regarding the system as a whole, though. rad sizing for example.

I want to know where you live, is the sun really shining there?!

Thanks for your help Breesey - it helps to hear that I should follow my gut instinct. I'll move the stat to the hall - and hope that there won't be problems with the stat communicating with the boiler. The installer felt that the stat would be best located 'within sight' of the boiler (which made me wonder if a physical barrier (i.e. a wall) would cause problems.). Have had a larger rad put in the bathroom, and I think the other rads are the right size.

Oh....and the sun shines on the righteous! :D

Sponsored Links
Metal or electrical installations could affect reception but being that close to the receiver a wall, or two, won't bother it.
It doesn't need line of sight; it's RF not IR!

Metal or electrical installations could affect reception but being that close to the receiver a wall, or two, won't bother it.
It doesn't need line of sight; it's RF not IR!

Thanks again Breesey. I guess I'm just a gullible woman, or I would have put up a stronger argument about locating the stat in the hall! Ah well, you've strengthened my arm, so I'll stick to my guns and get it moved. :LOL:

I cant see the problem, if your lounge, due to the sun, is, say 5deg warmer than any other room it will not matter where the stat is or what it is set to, the lounge will still be 5deg warmer.

I cant see the problem, if your lounge, due to the sun, is, say 5deg warmer than any other room it will not matter where the stat is or what it is set to, the lounge will still be 5deg warmer.

Thanks for responding Mick. The issue isn't that the lounge is warmer than the other rooms, it's more that having the stat in the warm lounge means that the temperature in there is easily maintained, but all the other rooms never heat up because the boiler thinks they're warm enough already! The result is that I have a lovely toasty lounge, but freezing north facing bathroom and bedroom.

What i was trying to say was, if you put stat in hall, its 15deg there, you want it at 18, so set the stat to 18, happy days. The whole house heats an extra 3 degs, lounge is now 24, instead of the original 21, unless you have trv in lounge.

What i was trying to say was, if you put stat in hall, its 15deg there, you want it at 18, so set the stat to 18, happy days. The whole house heats an extra 3 degs, lounge is now 24, instead of the original 21, unless you have trv in lounge.

Ah - I see what you mean. Looks like I'll have to have a TRV put in the lounge :confused:
Thanks for introducing some logic!

Thats ok, hope you find a satisfactory solution

The installer of my new boiler seemed to think that TRVs on radiators were "a nightmare". Can somebody explain to me what the problems/issues would be if I wanted to put a TRV on my lounge radiator? It's a (fairly elderly) double rad, measuring 1700x500mm, with 8mm microbore pipes.

TRVs are not a problem, unless you've got a dirty system they get muck in them and dont shut off properly, but if the system is that bad the 8mm pipe is likely to block.
Get a good TRV, drayton is, argueably, the best.

TRVs are not a problem, unless you've got a dirty system they get muck in them and dont shut off properly, but if the system is that bad the 8mm pipe is likely to block.
Get a good TRV, drayton is, argueably, the best.

Thanks Mick - will take your advice :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back